Friday, May 11, 2012

What? Another bloody blog?

What? Another bloody blog? Just HOW many do you need?

"Well, mate," I replied to myself as politely as I could, "I think this one actually is a good idea."

I decided that I had to agree with that. But what actually makes this new blog such a good idea? Simple - I have borrowed an idea that someone else has done pretty cool things with. You see, the wonderfully mercurial Marieke Hardy and her partner in crime, Michaela McGuire, created a highly successful literary event, Women of Letters. All sorts of people, including a few men, write letters and then share them with an audience. The collected works are now available in a book: Women of Letters. As an important aside, I should point out that all royalties from the book are going to Edgar's Mission animal rescue shelter, so it is worth at least having a look at it.

The blurb for the book notes some examples from women such as Claudia Karvan and Noni Hazlehurst. But my favourite was Tara Moss's letter to Bela Lugosi which, among other things, explained how becoming exposed to Bela's Dracula lead to insertion of a caterpillar up her nostril. And yes, those who know me are well aware that I think Ms Moss is quite wonderful (and not just cos she's gawjus!). But that was a delightful letter. And there were plenty more like it.

Now I thought this was a wonderful idea - write letters to people that you would love to have corresponded with in a particular manner. I am hardly likely to ever be invited to share at a Women of Letters, and I am not aware of Men's Missives or Bloke's Bullshit literary events so another blog seems to be the way to go.

Alrighty then - so who am I going to be writing to and sharing with my hordes of screaming fans (two mad hermits and a pet ferret)? Stay tuned and you'll find out! Real soon now - promise!

Ross's disclaimer - don't be afraid to make a comment to the blog or hit me up via Twitter or my website. I don't bite. At least not often.

No comments:

Post a Comment